Frequently Asked Questions


1) Where do I take my CRV (CA Refund Value) bottles and cans?

2) What goes into my curbside containers?

3) Where can I take my recyclables if I don’t have a curbside, recycling container?

4) Why do/don’t I have recycling in my area?

In 1989, California passed a mandate stating every California city and county needed to reduce its waste by 50 percent. To find out more about the mandate AB 939, please visit the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) website:

To fulfill this requirement, diversion programs were implemented. These programs vary by city and areas of the county. Some have curbside green waste programs, drop off areas, or residential recycling services. Programs within the Cities and County depend on what has and hasn’t been passed. For information about City Council or the County’s Board of Supervisors, please visit the following:

5) Where can I take things like batteries, computers, and televisions?

Residents of Merced County, you can take your batteries, electronics, fluorescent lights, and Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) to drop off centers, located at:

  • Highway 59 Landfill, 7040 N. HWY 59 in Merced
  • Billy Wright Landfill, 17173 S. Billy Wright Rd in Los Banos

At no cost for Merced County residents only. Businesses may apply and register for the Conditionally Exempt Small-Quantity Disposal (CESQD) Program.
For more information, please call Merced County Regional Waste Management Authority at (209) 723-4481 or visit our Household Hazardous Waste page.


6) What can I do with things that are still in good shape?

  • Donate them to the Salvation Army, Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul
  • Offer them for free on (under Merced County) or on
  • Put on a yard sale or donate to others who are having a yard sale.

7) What do I do with prescription medicine and “sharps?”

  • Do NOT flush prescription medicine unless its label instructs to do so. Hormones and/or other ingredients in prescription medicine cannot be effectively removed from the water by the wastewater treatment plant. For proper disposal of your prescription medicine or antibiotics, please click here for federal disposal guidelines or watch a film from the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
  • Prescription medication (excluding ointments and liquids) can be dropped off in the "Meds" kiosk at the Sheriffs Department on 700 W. 22nd Street in central Merced.

  • Do NOT throw away your medically prescribed hypodermic needles or “sharps.”  Sharps can be taken for free to the following consolidation points for proper disposal. Please click here for more information on Sharps Disposal.
    Note: For residents of Merced County only.

Preguntas Frecuentes


1) ¿Dónde puedo traer las botellas y botes para la CRV (California Refund Value)?

Va a nuestra lista a lugares para reciclando:

2) ¿Cuál materiales entran mis tres recipientes?

3) ¿Dónde puedo traer los reciclajes si no tengo un recipiente de recicle?

  • Basurera de la Carretera 59 (Highway 59 Landfill) a 7040 N. HWY 59 en Merced (T: 723-4481)
  • Basurera de Billy Wright (Billy Wright Landfill) a 17173 S. Billy Wright Rd. en Los Banos (T: 826-1163)
  • Visita aquí para más localizaciones.
  • Entre el material y la cuidad en para una lista de áreas del reciclaje.

4) ¿Por qué reciclamos (o no reciclamos) en nuestro área?

En 1989 California lanzó una campaña ambiciosa para reducir su baura a la mitad.  (Para mas información sobre la campaña AB 939, por favor visita

Cada ciudad y condado de California desarrollaron planes e iniciaron programas de diversión. Estos programas varían con cada ciudad y áreas del condado.  Algunos tienen verdes pierdan programas, áreas gotas, o servicios de reciclaje residenciales. Los programas dentro de las ciudades y del condado dependen de qué tiene y no se ha pasado. Para información sobre el Consejo de Ciudad o el Tablero del Supervisores del Condado, visite por favor las páginas siguientes:

5) ¿Dónde puedo traer cosas como baterías, computadoras, y televisiones?

Residentes de la Condado de Merced pueden traer baterías, fluorescentes, electrónicos, y desperdicios domésticos peligrosos (HHW) a las gotas centre

  • Basurera de la Carretera 59 (Highway 59 Landfill) a 7040 N. HWY 59 en Merced
  • Basurera de Billy Wright (Billy Wright Landfill) a 17173 S. Billy Wright Rd en Los Banos

Solamente para los residentes de la Condado de Merced – no para el uso comercial. Para más información, visite Household Hazardous Waste page.

6) Tengo cosas que estén en buenas condiciones  y no desea ponerlas en la basura.  ¿Qué puedo hacer?

7) ?Qué hago con la medicina de la precripción y hipodérmicas médicamente prescritas?

NO ponga la medicina de la prescripción abajo del dren o en tocadores – puedan contaminar el agua. Para la disposición apropiada de su medicina inusitada de la prescripción, vaya aquí por favor.

NO ponga sus agujas hipodérmicas médicamente prescritas en la basura.  Para más información, vaya aquí por favor.

Nota: Solamente para residentes de la Condado de Merced, NO negocios.  También, la basura médica NO se acepta.


In order to view pdf documents contained in this site, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in order to view these files. You can download a free copy here.